Thursday, July 19, 2012

So...another one of those "coincidental" things? I was sitting at my computer this morning, and had just opened my youversion Bible reading plan for Psalms and Proverbs, when the little "bing-bong" alert sounded to let me know I have mail. I don't like everything about Outlook, but I do like the email previews that pop up on the screen. But I digress... there were two emails in a row for BACK TO SCHOOL sales (*happy dance*) and then these words were staring at me from Proverbs 12:1 "To learn, you must love discipline; it is stupid to hate correction." At first, I thought, "what a coincidence; back to school, learning; it all ties together." But as I reflected on that verse, I had to be honest with myself: I like to learn, but I'm not a fan of discipline, at least not the correction type. Most of us aren't, if we are honest. Sure, I like the personal disciplines, like reading my Bible reading plans, and going to the gym (which I skipped this morning). You know, those disciplines that we put on ourselves and then give ourselves grace (or excuses)to NOT do them? But to be accountable to another, to have someone else put it in front of you, and make you admit that yes, you did, or no, you didn't, that is the discipline/correction that we don't like (especially if the answer is no, you didn't). But according to this passage, you can't have one without the other! Learning and loving discipline are tied at the hip! I guess I had better get used to that fact. God, please give me a heart to love discipline; remind me that in correction is learning, and that in order to get where You want me to go, I must surrender to Your will and Your way. Help me to learn today, through discipline and correction. Amen.

No comments: